Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Great State Plates

I have always loved to travel and some of my favorite childhood memories include family vacations (aka road trips) with my dad at the wheel, mom as co-pilot, and my sisters and I packed in the backseat of the car chanting, are we there yet? We didn't fly anywhere back then, so we took advantage of every opportunity to stop at those silly tourist attractions, roadside parks, Holiday Inns and STUCKEY'S! Of course, dad always missed the exit and my sisters and I would laugh and laugh about how dad always misses the exit (mom didn't think it was funny)! The point is, we loved to buy Stuckey's world famous divinity and shop for rare treasures (aka cheap souvenirs). Some shops featured collectible "State Plates" depicting a map of the state, fun facts and symbols of the state. I never really payed much attention to those plates until now- fast forward to my Social Studies Class/North America Unit/Regions/The United States and I have a flash back. Kids love to make things out of paper plates and I love things that are cheap so, I decided to let my classes use paper plates to create their own souvenir STATE PLATES! Students were assigned a random state (we drew names out of a hat) and then completed a research assignment using the Atlas, the Internet and other resources to find specific facts about their state. They then used the paper plate as a canvas to creatively display their research data and just like that- a GREAT STATE PLATE is born!

My daddy passed away five years ago this month and although I miss him like crazy, I can't help but think of him every time my family takes a road trip. The only difference is- we use GPS and Google Maps, my husband still misses the exits, and we stop at BUC-EE'S- Travel Center. And yes, they have divinity and cheap souvenirs!

Here are a just a few of my favorite souvenir plates~  


See you at Bucee's,
post signature

9 comments:

  1. Do you use a rubric to share your expectations with your students for this awesome plate project? If so, are you willing to share it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By and large when doing task composing, the essaythinker.net professional writing service understudy ought to include the educator allocated to them for clarity on guidelines and what is at last expected of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Students can now understand the stability of education. The can better understand ucas personal statement limit which is necessary for the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strongly believe that student should not say do my accounting assignment. But they must do it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little late - is there a rubric included?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! These are adorable! I was wondering if you have directions and a rubric? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great State Plate should be a fun idea to use this fall in my 6th grade social studies class. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing,
Cindy