Wednesday, July 31, 2013

DIY Welcome Banner

Hey guys, here is a great idea if you can't find a ready-made banner to match your classroom design- try making it!  I just made this welcome banner using scrapbook paper and a chipboard banner kit from Hobby Lobby.  They have a plethora of shapes to choose from. I didn't paint the back of my banner since it will be hanging against a wall, but you could paint it or cover it with paper too. If you decide to try this project, please post pictures!  I would love to see your ideas come to life.



Materials: chipboard kit, scrapbook paper, ribbon, Matt Modge Podge for paper, Elmer's Spray Adhesive, paint brush, black stamp ink

Step 1:  I cut out the black letters using my Cricut Cutter to spell the word WELCOME, but you could use pre-cut letters if you like.

Step 2:  Trace the shape of the pennant onto your background paper and cut-out the shapes with scissors.

Step 3:  Again, I used my Cricut to cut out the rectangles, but you can create your own pattern or shape.

Step 4:  Using spray adhesive, spray the back of the paper and adhere the paper to the chipboard starting with the background. WARNING: This stuff is sticky and hard to get off your hands, but it works great and does not leave bubbles. Also, be sure to use in a well-ventilated area with newspaper or something underneath.

Step 5:  I used a sponge to ink the edges of the paper for a distressed look. This is an optional step.

Step 6:  Apply a very thin coat of Matte Modge Podge for Paper and let dry at least 30 minutes between coats.  I applied about three coats. For helpful hints on using Modge Podge, click on the link below.



Step 6:  I used black ribbon to string the banner together!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing,
Cindy